Tuesday, June 8, 2021

N-Power Batch C: Minister Reels Out Plans

0
Share

By Lawrence Duya, Abuja-Nigeria

Indeed, the N-power program has carefully addressed the challenges of unemployment, empowerment, and subsequently, reduced poverty among the youths.

Poverty alleviation remains a major challenge of modern economies around the world today, Nigeria is no exception. Resulting from poor enterprise culture. The poverty alleviation program in Nigeria is now a major driver of poverty and social vices. The poverty alleviation programs in Nigeria have assumed multi-dimensional phenomena cutting across all facets of age group, educational strata, and geographies. Poverty alleviation programs are evenly distributed across the age groups with youth between the ages of 18-35 being the greatest beneficiaries. More disturbing today is the ever-rising trend of youth poverty alleviation programs in the country. The effective implementation of the programs will discourage them from engaging in social vices.

To this end, the Honourable Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, has enumerated the progress of the National Social Investment Management System (NASIMS) and the next plan in line with President Muhammad Buhari’s program of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty within 10 years.

The Honourable Minister who made this known in Abuja during a press briefing said that by the 3rd week of May 2021, over 1.8 million Nigerians successfully updated their records and took the compulsory online test which 550,000 applicants qualified for the final selection to engage 500,000 nationwide to serve as the first stream of the N-Power Batch C program.

The minister said, “The second batch of another 500,000 will subsequently be made in line with Mr. President’s directive to engage 1,000,000 beneficiaries under the Batch C.”

She reeled out the phone numbers to be contacted by applicants. These numbers are 0188883410 or 08176551162. Also, applicants can send mails to support.npower@nasims.gov.ng for further inquiries on their application status and any other question. In doing this, applicants must ensure they keep their application details handy to ensure hitch-free communication with the call center desk.

In addition, the minister announced that the ministry has recommenced the National Home-Grown School Feeding Programme.

“A total of 9,196,823 pupils in classes 1 to 3 in public primary schools will receive one nutritious meal daily in all 54,619 schools nationwide”

The program is being expanded to accommodate an additional 5 million children in line with the directive of His Excellency President Muhammad Buhari.

The outcome of this program includes an increase in school enrolment, improved nutrition for benefiting pupils boosting of local economies, and facilitating job creation through the activities of 103,028 cooks, 100,000 smallholder farmers, and numerous aggregators and commodity transporters engaged nationwide” the minister said.

She further said that plans to onboard the second Batch of beneficiaries under the Government Enterprise and Empowerment Program (GEEP) are close to completion and will be made public soon.

As a shock responsive intervention register, the ministry as put in place the Rapid Response Register (RRR) targeted at the Urban Informal workers impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic. In this program, one million beneficiaries will receive monthly cash transfers of N5,000 for 6 months. A pilot of this program commenced earlier this year with 3,115 beneficiaries in Lagos and Abuja. The minister said that this will be upscaled nationwide and beneficiaries will start receiving their stipends soon.

Related Posts
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *